Catalyst IT is part of a global team of skilled open source technologists. We specialise in developing, designing and supporting enterprise grade systems using open source technologies.
We are looking for a Tech Lead to join a well-established and close-knit team to help us design, implement, and run microservices across our three cloud regions. In this role, you’ll have the ability to put your knowledge to use in setting our technical roadmap for the coming years, with a fantastic client that gives us technical freedom to manage high availability services for more than 100,000 customers.
Given the senior nature of this role, you’ll be helping other developers upskill where needed, and working closely with the account and project managers to engage with the client and other groups at Catalyst. You should be comfortable explaining technical concepts to a wide range of people, from architects to upper management, while also being able to implement your ideas.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Designing, implementing, managing, and documenting microservices for one of our key clients
- Providing technical leadership within a small but highly effective team
- Working with the client, and at times presenting to architects and other technical people on new systems
- Investigating and responding to incidents with the team on the shared pager
- Helping drive new processes to make our delivery more efficient and automated
- Driving the adoption of cloud native principles within Catalyst and at the client organisation
- Optimising existing applications to be more efficient and resilient
- Architecting and building new features for the client
- Working closely with account and project managers for pre-sales as required
For this role, we are looking for:
- Problem solving within complex, highly available distributed systems
- Understanding and implementation of microservices architecture
- Immutable infrastructure and process automation (e.g. Terraform and Ansible)
- Working with cloud providers (e.g. AWS and OpenStack)
- Full-stack development experience (we mostly use Python, React (TypeScript), and Perl)
- Containerisation (Docker)
- Solid understanding of Linux (Ubuntu) and networking
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and patience
- Pragmatism and an interest in understanding the clients’ needs
- Experience with Kubernetes would be a huge bonus, likewise Elasticsearch
This is a complex role with a huge opportunity to make your mark on systems used by tens of thousands of people. We understand the broad set of skills we’re asking for, and offer compensation in line with that.
Being a good employer is really important to us. We make sure our staff have all of the support they need to grow their skills. We get together every Friday afternoon to relax, share company news from around the world and celebrate the achievements of our staff.
We also offer health insurance, flexible working hours, plenty of training, and conference opportunities.
If this sounds like you please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected]. Our hiring processes reflect our diversity policy which you can read in full here: https://www.catalyst.net.nz/content/catalyst-diversity-policy